请选择 进入手机版 | 继续访问电脑版

同雪网 SkiChinese.com 北美滑雪论坛

找回密码
 注册

Login

免注册即享有会员功能

搜索
查看: 5083|回复: 12

转帖:Why are so many failing the Level 3 Exams?

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-2-6 19:55:26 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 Phoenixtear 于 2013-2-6 20:01 编辑

Why are so many failing the Level 3 Exams?

Last season was a tough one. I broke my leg in January, and it really hurt. A lot. Then, as the season went on, there were several sets of Level 3 exams – and the overall pass rate was quite low. Why does this happen? How come so many dedicated skiers run into a “wall” when it comes to the Level 3 standard?

Now, what I am about to say is to be taken only as my advice to anyone working towards their Level 3. It is based on my more than ten years experience as a Level 3 Course Conductor, and is only my observations. Read on…

PREPARATION

No matter who you are (or how strong of a skier you think you are), nothing beats good old-fashioned prep work. Preparation in most cases means getting in (or at least improving) the shape you’re in – which for most of us involves hard work. My Dad (genius) always would tell me “Anything worth having, is worth working hard for”. If most of the people working towards their Level 3 spent some off-season prep time working on their strength, flexibility, cardio and balance during the off-season, it will have huge dividends come the ski-off in March.

Sandy’s check-list for fitness:

- get a gym membership

- develop your strength (especially core strength)

- improve your flexibility and agility

- improve overall cardio & endurance

IN-SEASON TRAINING

What do most people perform poorly on during a ski-off? Well that depends. Here in Ontario we are not blessed with endless mogul fields, bottomless powder or long, steep runs to practice on. I find that most candidates look at the required ski-off runs and just try to emulate them right away, instead of building up to them. Why try to ski advanced level bumps at advanced speed, if you haven’t mastered beginner level bumps at beginner speeds? Why try to do advanced short radius turns when you have yet to master intermediate level short radius turns? This is going to be a process for most people – there is no “quick fix”. Only skiing perfect snow on perfect days won’t prepare you – sticking with a plan that includes skiing on ugly snow in ugly conditions will prepare you both mentally, and physically for exam day.

Sandy’s check-list for training:

- start slow, and work your way up – slowly

- ski in difficult, nasty conditions whenever possible

- take your time – and be patient

SURROUND YOURSELF WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE

Whatever course I have taken, I was the most successful sharing the journey with my friends who had the same goals. Not good at bumps? Ski with others who are working on bumps. Not confident in teaching? Teach others who are working towards their Level 3.

I truly believe that having the proper guidance goes miles towards being successful. There are a plentitude of qualified, current and active Level 3 Course Conductor’s out there who are keen and willing to help. Getting a group of fellow Level 3 Candidates together to work on your skiing and teaching will definitely pay off – and doing it in groups together makes it much more affordable…

Sandy’s check-list for exam prep:

- find a group of friends who all want to pass this course

- work on your skiing together, AND your teaching together

- find an active Level 3 Course Conductor (or several) to work with you

BE REALISTIC; OVER TRAINING = FAULTY TRAINING

When a Course Conductor tells you “You’re not ready”, listen to them! Every Course Conductor I have ever known only wants you to pass – but it has to be earned. I have been involved with many a Level 3 Course and ensuing exams where people show up that I have personally told to “continue working” on their skiing or teaching only to find them showing up looking for a miracle, and miracles rarely happen. A Course Conductor once told me; “There are no such things as unrealistic goals, just unrealistic time frames.”

Sessioning with a focus is a good thing, however too much sessioning and not enough practice is not a good thing. To make this journey as short as possible, you need to be able to come up with your own solutions to problems – this is the “refinement” level of development. Over-training can often lead to a robotic-style technique, instead of the free, relaxed type of skiing that the Level 3 standard requires.

If your end goal is to be a Level 3, break that into several smaller goals that are more achievable; become a good bump skier, then a better bump skier. Become a good teacher, then a great teacher. Become a good short radius skier, then a great short radius skier etc.

Just like Rome, Level 3’s aren’t built in a day. This standard – for the majority – is a process that takes time. The longer it takes and the harder you work for it, the more it will mean to you in the end.

If you want to talk about how to prepare for your Level 3, please contact me.

Have a great season!

Sandy Gardner

CSIA PDP Coordinator, Ontario

CSIA Level 1 Program Coordinator, Ontario
 楼主| 发表于 2013-2-6 19:59:46 | 显示全部楼层
我觉得这段话说的最有道理,所以现在准备专门找光滑大冰坡,黑道深沟蘑菇,烂雪和泡得练。

What do most people perform poorly on during a ski-off? Well that depends. Here in Ontario we are not blessed with endless mogul fields, bottomless powder or long, steep runs to practice on. I find that most candidates look at the required ski-off runs and just try to emulate them right away, instead of building up to them. Why try to ski advanced level bumps at advanced speed, if you haven’t mastered beginner level bumps at beginner speeds? Why try to do advanced short radius turns when you have yet to master intermediate level short radius turns? This is going to be a process for most people – there is no “quick fix”. Only skiing perfect snow on perfect days won’t prepare you – sticking with a plan that includes skiing on ugly snow in ugly conditions will prepare you both mentally, and physically for exam day.

Sandy’s check-list for training:

- start slow, and work your way up – slowly

- take your time – and be patient

点评

咱需要榜样带头,老大我们都看着你呢  发表于 2013-2-6 20:31
大侠,你明天可以在街上练习了。  发表于 2013-2-6 20:27
发表于 2013-2-6 20:17:35 | 显示全部楼层
Why try to ski advanced level bumps at advanced speed, if you haven’t mastered beginner level bumps at beginner speeds?

really?昨天有个大侠说绿蘑菇有毒呢

点评

吸毒小凤?  发表于 2013-2-6 21:04
俺现在不要解药了,要炼毒成就五毒神功  发表于 2013-2-6 20:49
还狡辩,不可救药了  发表于 2013-2-6 20:36
有没毒是因进度阶段而异的  发表于 2013-2-6 20:30
cat
还有另一个大侠赞同呢  发表于 2013-2-6 20:30
发表于 2013-2-6 20:24:23 | 显示全部楼层
忘了说了,谢谢大侠分享
 楼主| 发表于 2013-2-6 20:44:22 | 显示全部楼层
vicboy™  大侠,你明天可以在街上练习了。  发表于 17 分钟前

点评

All.I.Can. ... is dream.  发表于 2013-2-6 23:55
膜拜大侠。你那千金新欢就是一日情了。  发表于 2013-2-6 21:12
发表于 2013-2-6 21:42:14 | 显示全部楼层
这个很牛鼻,不过牛鼻在哪里我也不知道
发表于 2013-2-7 11:09:10 | 显示全部楼层
我感觉,要考到L3,一定要出血。
发表于 2013-2-7 11:16:19 | 显示全部楼层

vs

safe first
have fun
maybe learn something

我决定周末去猫狗道里整冲坡去了。。。

点评

出发点,目的,以及对象都不一样,没有可比性  发表于 2013-2-7 13:20
大侠V5  发表于 2013-2-7 12:25
 楼主| 发表于 2013-2-7 13:18:22 | 显示全部楼层

阿牛我觉得你很有必要再读下这个:

I find that most candidates look at the required ski-off runs and just try to emulate them right away, instead of building up to them. Why try to ski advanced level bumps at advanced speed, if you haven’t mastered beginner level bumps at beginner speeds? Why try to do advanced short radius turns when you have yet to master intermediate level short radius turns? This is going to be a process for most people – there is no “quick fix”.
发表于 2013-2-7 15:10:27 | 显示全部楼层
今年在HPSC上课时见到Sandy两次,一是次在blue,另一次是在MSLM。

我们GROUP‘s Instrutor曾向我们介绍他,当时我认为这个哥们想加入HPSC当Instrutor我就简单地说声“HI”。。。

看了小P的转贴发现这哥们很牛, 居然有more than ten years experience as a Level 3 Course Conductor。。。

后悔当时应该再说四个字: 膜拜大侠。

对了请问个位大侠:  “膜拜大侠”英文这么说?

下次有机会见到他我得补上.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|SkiChinese  

GMT-5, 2024-3-29 01:18 , Processed in 0.041103 second(s), 22 queries .